Real meat still has real friends and once again the burger is king in the United States according to David Portalatin, of the NPD Group. While many had been asking lately is the burger still king in the U.S. Steven Johnson, Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions® suggest two things:
1. The burger (real beef) will remain the number one for many years to come.
2. The competition for second in the Hand Held food spot will become a tight race between chicken and plant based entrees.
Over the past 3 years NPD has been food consumption in America in this edition of The NPD Group’s Eating Patterns in America, reports that “U.S. consumers may appear to be creatures of habit in their eating patterns but the foods they eat today have a modern twist that is influenced by a host of factors like ethnicity, age/generational group, and health/social consciousness.
Here are some quick takes from this year’s Eating Patterns in America:
· There were over 460 billion in- and away-from-home eating and drinking occasions in the U.S. last year.
· 16% of consumers regularly use plant-based alternatives such as almond milk, tofu, and veggie burgers; 89% of these consumers do not consider themselves vegan or vegetarian.
· 14% of in-home eating occasions included at least one item that required no preparation compared to only 11% of occasions in 2013.
· Visits to quick service restaurants have increased 630 million visits since 2014, while total visits to restaurants have declined more than 700 million visits.
· 19% of grocery shoppers now order their edible groceries online; from 2017 to 2020 the average annual growth rate for digital restaurant orders is forecast at 22%.
· One in five adults try to manage a health condition with their food and beverage choices.
The consumer is moving faster to the intersection of ‘better for you’ food that is prepared fresh, with personalization and customization according to Johnson. Regular readers of this blog know that Foodservice Solutions® team has been leading the way. Are you ready to embrace grocerant niche Ready-2-Eat or Heat-N-Eat fresh prepared food?
Looking for success clues of your own? Foodservice Solutions® specializes in outsourced food marketing and business development ideations. We can help you identify, quantify and qualify additional food retail segment opportunities, technology, or a new menu product segment. Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma WA is the global leader in the Grocerant niche visit Facebook.com/Steven Johnson, www.Linkedin.com/in/grocerant/ or www.twitter.com/grocerant