Companies that develop a platform that allows meal co-creation; in the car, at the office or at home are winning the hearts and minds of today’s retail food consumer. The grocerant niche comprised of the ready-2-eat and heat-N-eat fresh prepared food is driving the success of the retail foodservice today.
Each sector has innovators; Restaurants started with Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), Chipotle Mexican Grill, Panera Bread, Domino’s Pizza, MCD, BK and a whole lot more! Grocery started with Wegmans Harris Tetter, Whole Foods and now fast charging Safeway and the “lifestyle stores. Convenience Stores have Sheetz, Wawa, with fast charging Casey’s General stores and 7 & Eleven.
1. Visceral presentation, Freshness based on how it looks and is presented.
2. Bundling, the ability to build your meal with components family members will eat.
3. Individualized portions, power to select quality and quantity of items viewed.
4. Convenience, unit /store location on the drive home from work.
5. Time Saving, ability to evaluate price vs. time to cook from scratch.
Differentiation does not mean different it means familiar. The grocerant niche continues to build top line revenue and bottom line profits the old fashion way! Giving the consumer something new yet familiar!
Join me here on my blog for insights, information and inspiration. Since 1991 Foodservice Solutions of Tacoma, WA has been the global leader in the Grocerant niche for more on Steven A. Johnson and Foodservice Solutions visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/grocerant or on Facebook at Steven Johnson.