Bill Bishop Jr. president of Willard Bishop presented findings from the NACS/Coca-Cola Retailing Research Council. Bishop identified five major platforms of opportunity for Convenience Stores. Those five platforms are: Fresh Value Fast, Female, Friendly, Family Time, My Time and My Place.
- My Place: “It’s where I go. Friendly and familiar.” The appeal is that it’s a great place to start the day. This platform targets blue-collar workers and the morning shopping occasion. Most convenience stores address this platform successfully with a warm, bright and clean environment.
- Fresh Value Fast: This platform requires decent food for a good price. The environment is clean and modern. The target shopper is working adults, and the occasions targeted are breakfast and lunch.
- Female Friendly: This platform is a challenge as many women don’t find c-stores clean or safe enough, according to the research. To target this opportunity, retailers must keep their stores modern, safe and clean. And, that includes employees. “One woman said she felt ‘creeped out’ by the personnel in c-stores,” noted Bishop.
- Family Time: Retailers that target this platform provide weekend activities and are a place for parents to take their kids. The appeal is the opportunity to connect and offer something for everyone. The obvious target is families on a budget, and the occasion is a family treat.
- My Time: This involves being efficient, but not rushing. Allowing customers time to browse. It offers a break in the day.
Personalization, Customization, Family Meal Cohesion were second only to Cleanliness for time starved consumers. The continued opportunity for retail and fresh food sales success within the convenience store sector of food retailing looks bright.
For international corporate presentations, educational forums, or keynotes contact: Steven Johnson Grocerant Guru at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions. His extensive experience as a multi-unit restaurant operator, consultant, brand / product positioning expert and public speaking will leave success clues for all. Facebook.com/Steven Johnson, Linkedin.com/in/grocerant or twitter.com/grocerant