The simple fact is “My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it” and for many of you had the same experience. However today that is not the case according to Steven Johnson, Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based .
Stop wondering why we see restaurant customer migration, think back as many of you are just like me “My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it.” This line was made famous by comedian Stephen Wright and still holds true as to why we are seeing so much customer migration in retail foodservice. Today restaurants need to battle the 75-inch TV’s demand for time and attention. Brands must be multi-channel or consumer will simply dial out.
Take it or leave it has come and gone. Today all food consumers are empowered with choice driven by preferences in flavor profiles, portion size, packaging and portability. Below are six clues to consider when considering customer migration.
1. Nearly half of Millennials are shopping online -only retailers, and that is 80% higher than just two years ago.
2. The estimates that 50% of U.S. adults over the age of 18 are single.
3. Millennials want to know where their food come from and what is in a package aka Non-GMO, Grass-fed, Free-range, certified organic combined with what you brand stand for.
4. Fresh food and fresh prepared food continue to garner customers attention and migration in all retail food channels.
5. 88% of consumer believe that eating at home is healthier than eating at a restaurant. However they increasingly want restaurant meal components for dinner.
6. 67 of household with kids seek grocerant niche Ready-2Eat fresh prepared food from the grocery store for dinner.
The grocerant niche is filled with Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat fresh and prepared meal components. Around the world consumers are refocusing how, where and when they chose to buy food. Are you positioned within your niche to build sales?
Steven Johnson is President of Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions, with extensive experience as a multi-unit operator, consultant and brand/product positioning. Since 1991 of Tacoma, WA has been the global leader in the Grocerant niche for more on Steven Johnson and Foodservice Solutions® visit or