Foodservice Solutions® Grocerant Guru®, Steven Johnson asks “do consumers want more home-cooked Meals in 2019 than they bought in 2018 and 2017? If so just what does that mean for chain restaurant sales?
Well one online grocery store Peapod, found that Millennials were particularly interested in whipping up meals at home in a new Peapod, found more than three-quarters (77 percent) of respondents to a recent survey said that they'd rather eat a homemade meal than go out for dinner. What's more, they're planning to make good on this in the new year: 43 percent intend to cook more in 2019 – the number rising to 59 percent for Millennials. The report also found that in/for 2019:
1. Reasons for cooking at home include cost savings (77 percent),
2. Eating healthier (51 percent)
3. Family time (41 percent overall,
4. 48 percent for Millennials).
5. The weekdays are the top times to cook at home, Wednesday being the top day to cook from scratch (75 percent) or using meal kits (51 percent).
6. The biggest food resolutions are to eat healthier (53 percent), eat less processed food (51 percent) and order less takeout (40 percent).
- Keeping it simple will be important for Americans, with 47 percent of all adults surveyed wishing to take advantage of at least one of the following: click-and-collect (27 percent), home delivery (26 percent) and/or meal kit delivery (20 percent).
- Men are more interested than women in using a meal kit (23 percent versus 18 percent), as are Millennials compared with Baby Boomers (60 percent verus 31 percent).
- Millennials show far more interest than Boomers in creating weekly meal plans (51 percent versus 16 percent), cooking with kids (39 percent versus 9 percent) and using home delivery (29 percent versus 10 percent). It's likely that having children leads to all three of these being more important to Millennials than to the Boomer generation.
For international corporate presentations, educational forums, or keynotes contact: His extensive experience as a multi-unit restaurant operator, consultant, brand / product positioning expert and public speaking will leave success clues for all. For more information visit , or call 1-253-759-7869 Grocerant Guru at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions.