Food Retailers that develop a platform that invites consumers to co-create a meal for in the car, at the office or at home are winning the hearts and minds of today’s retail food consumer. The grocerant niche comprised of the ready-2-eat and heat-N-eat fresh prepared food is driving the success of the retail foodservice today.
Each sector has innovators: Restaurants started with Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), Chipotle Mexican Grill, Panera Bread, Domino’s Pizza, MCD, BK and a whole lot more. Grocery started with Wegmans Harris Tetter, Whole Foods and now fast charging Safeway and the “lifestyle stores. Convenience Stores have Sheetz, Wawa, with fast charging Casey’s General stores and 7 & Eleven. Here are five success clues each sector leverages for success:
- Visceral presentation, Freshness based on how it looks and is presented.
- Bundling, the ability to build your meal with components family members will eat.
- Individualized portions, power to select quality and quantity of items viewed.
- Convenience, unit /store location on the drive home from work.
- Time Saving, ability to evaluate price vs. time to cook from scratch.
Differentiation does not mean different it means familiar. The grocerant niche continues to build top line revenue and bottom line profits the old fashion way! Giving the consumer something new yet familiar.
For international corporate presentations, educational forums, or keynotes contact: Steven Johnson Grocerant Guru at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions. His extensive experience as a multi-unit restaurant operator, consultant, brand / product positioning expert and public speaking will leave success clues for all. Facebook.com/Steven Johnson, Linkedin.com/in/grocerant or twitter.com/grocerant