Success does leave clues and Millennials seem to have an unquenchable thirst for food discovery and adoption according to Steven Johnson, Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions®. So, if you have a new food or packaging product the messaging should be targeting the grocerant niche.
Recently, the Michigan State University Food Literacy and Engagement poll surveyed more than 2,100 Americans on emerging food technologies and options, including plant-based meats, cell-cultured meats, insect proteins, meal kits and GMOs.
Sheril Kirshenbaum, co-director of the poll "Willingness to adopt new alternatives to traditional agricultural products varies tremendously across age groups, and public acceptance of these emerging technologies will determine winners and losers in the international marketplace.” Let’s see the key findings:
· 35% of Americans have consumed plant-based meat in the past year; 90% say they would do so again.
· 42% have not consumed plant-based meat but are willing to try it.
· 30% are unwilling to try it.
· Of consumers already eating plant-based meat, 48% are under 40 years old, 27% are over 40.
· 35% of American consumers say they are likely to buy cell-cultured meats.
· 49% of these consumers are under 40 years old.
· 25% are 40 and older.
· 25% of American consumers are willing to try foods made with insect-based protein, such as cricket powder.
· 40% of these consumers are under 40 years old.
· 15% are 40 and older.
· 32% of American consumers have tried meal kits within the past 12 months.
· 44% of these consumers are under 40 years old.
· 24% are 40 and older.
· 47% of Americans think they rarely or never consumer GMOs or don't know how often they do so.
· 55% of those under 40 recognize they consumer GMOs daily or once a week.
· 32% of those age 40 recognize this.
Foodservice Solutions® specializes in outsourced business development. We can help you identify, quantify and qualify additional food retail segment opportunities or a new menu product segment and brand and menu integration strategy. Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma WA is the global leader in the Grocerant niche visit Facebook.com/Steven Johnson, Linkedin.com/in/grocerant/ or twitter.com/grocerant