Foodservice Solutions® Grocerant Guru® praised Mintel on its new report noting that reducing waste is important to consumers. The Mintel research showed “that 80 percent of U.S. food shoppers agree that reducing food waste is as important as reducing packaging waste. In an effort to limit waste, half (52 percent) of consumers prefer to buy foods with minimal/no packaging.”
That’s not all John Owen, senior food and drink analyst at Mintel stated “Our research shows that reducing food waste is top of mind for consumers”. Here is more of what they found:
1. 81 percent of consumers say that they would choose re-sealable packaging over non-re-sealable packaging,
2. 54 percent would pay more for packaging with added features such as being re-sealable or portion controlled,
3. 30 percent often reusing food packaging for other purposes. However, recycling food packaging is far from a universal behavior,
4. 42 percent of consumers report recycling most of the food packaging they use.
5. 13 percent of consumers make an effort to avoid foods in packaging that cannot be recycled.
When it comes to Grocerant niche Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat fresh food Mintel found:
1. 23 percent of consumers are interested in packaging that allows food to be eaten on the go,
2. 23 percent often buy individually portioned packs.
3. 53 percent of consumers agree fresh produce spoils before they can eat/use it and two in five
4. 41 percent would pay more for vegetables that come in single-serve packages. What’s more,
5. 56 percent of consumers would be motivated to select one food product over another if its packaging better prevented food from going bad.
6. 38 percent agree that they would be motivated to choose one food product over another if the packaging allowed them to view the contents.
The consumer is dynamic as your customer evolves it’s important that your packaging does as well Mintel’s new report 2016 Global Packaging Trend, Phenomenal Flexibles provides valuable insights into what the consumers want and expect of your products packaging. Today your prefer eating in while dinning out and nothing is more important than packaging.
Since 1991 www.FoodserviceSolutions.us of Tacoma WA is the global leader in the Grocerant niche visit Facebook.com/Steven Johnson, Linkedin.com/in/grocerant or twitter.com/grocerant or Contact our Grocerant Guru® at: Steve@FoodserviceSolutions.us