It’s 4PM and 65% of consumers do not know what’s for dinner. So if you are wondering just what is for dinner you can understand why we see restaurant customer migration increasing? “My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it.” Is a line made famous by comedian Stephen Wright? Today restaurants need to battle the 65 inch HDTV’s demand for time and attention according to the Grocerant Guru® Steven Johnson of Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions®
Brands must offer food on multiple channels or consumer will simply dial out when selecting what’s for dinner according to Johnson. Take it or leave it has come and gone. Today all food consumers are empowered with choice driven by preferences in flavor profiles, portion size, packaging, and portability. Below are 5 clues to consider when considering how to ebb customer migration.
1. U.S. consumers under the age of 25 spend an average of 40.9% of their food expenditures on food away from the home focus on Gen Z and Millennials.
2. Americans ages 23-34 spent 45.2% of food expenditures away from home the same report found.3.
3. Here is the kicker, those ages 75 and up spent the least at 31.8%. Grocerant niche prepared fresh food is evolving just how and where consumers shop for dinner.
4. Restaurants in France are increasingly offering “café gourmand,” a desert dish featuring an espresso and multiple small desserts on a single plate. Mix and Match bundling anyone is a key driver of retail success.
5. The U.S. Census found that 47.6% of U.S. adults over the age of 18 are single. Start focusing on meals and meal components for one person rather than trying to sell a package of 14 pork chops.
The grocerant niche is filled with Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat fresh and prepared meal components. Around the world consumers are refocusing how, where and when they chose to buy food. Are you positioned within your niche to build sales?
Steven Johnson is the President and Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions®, with extensive experience as a multi-unit operator, consultant and brand/product positioning. Since 1991 Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma, WA has been the global leader in the Grocerant niche. Email: Steve@FoodserviceSolutions.us for more.