Restaurant chains are closing stores, grocers are blaming the cost of labor for store closures, convenience stores are reshuffling their fresh food line-up to focus on daypart customers customer visit shifts; all the while Gopuff is adding more fulfillment centers garnering a larger share of stomach from all of the above.
According to Steven Johnson, Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions® “it is at the intersection of technology, food discovery, and American’s never-ending desire for instant gratification that has help propel great growth at Gopuff.”
While Americans Consumers have a deep affection for breakfast, with three in five Americans (62 percent) saying breakfast is their favorite meal of the day and more than half (56 percent) saying they love breakfast food more now than they did a year ago. That meal is now most often consumed at home.
1. Recent Grocerant ScoreCards found 82.3% of consumers don’t know what’s for dinner at Noon, and 61.1 don’t know what’ s for dinner at 4PM %.
2. 83.1% all dinners have at least 1 grocerant niche Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat meal component and 68.4% have two meal components.
3. When asked if they wanted to cook dinner from scratch or assemble dinner from fresh meal components 90.4 % of Gen Z chose assemble from Fresh Prepared Meal Components and Millennials 82.7% chose meal components.
5. Prepared food purchases are frequently a planned purchase among 59% of shoppers, while 41% of shoppers said they buy prepared foods on impulse. Dinner has the highest amount of prepared food buys with 79% of respondents making purchases for that meal, while lunch comes in at 77% and breakfast at 62%.
6. 55% of consumers would like to try autonomous EV delivery
When a student at Drexel University, Gola and co-founder Rafael Ilishayev launched the startup as a way to get late-night snacks without running to a convenience store. The company began delivering those goods, along with hookahs and tobacco products.
While in school other companies entering the "instant needs" space — a term Gopuff coined — Gola said he believes Gopuff "is in a category of one." Now the company operates in more than 1,000 cities and carries more than 4,000 items, and its network includes brick-and-mortar stores, which double as warehouses. Its valuation reached $15 billion in July. We ask, how many locations has your company opened during the last eight year?
So, in late 2020, Gopuff entered into a definitive agreement to acquire BevMo! for $350 million, and this past June it acquired Liquor Barn, a chain of beer, wine and liquor stores based in Louisville, Ky., from private equity firm Blue Equity. Regular readers of this blog know that consumers are dynamic not static and companies most be dynamic as well. Are you looking for profitable growth?
Invite Foodservice Solutions® to complete a Grocerant ScoreCard, or for product positioning or placement assistance, or call our Grocerant Guru®. Since 1991 Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma, WA has been the global leader in the Grocerant niche. Contact: Steve@FoodserviceSolutions.us or 253-759-7869