Wondering what to eat tonight? You are not alone according to Steven Johnson Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions® consumers have a hard time deciding simply what’s for dinner tonight. Let’s look at some of the numbers:
- Recent Grocerant ScoreCards found 82.3% of consumers don’t know what’s for dinner at Noon, and 61.8 % don’t know what’ s for dinner at 4PM.
- 68.2 % of consumers would order alcohol with a meal or meal components from a restaurant if available when ordering.
- Roughly 63.7% of consumers purchase prepared food items from a retail location at least three times a month.
- 79.6% all dinners have at least 1 grocerant niche Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat meal component and 66.6% have two meal components per day.
- When asked if they wanted to cook dinner from scratch or assemble dinner from fresh meal components 91.3 % of Gen Z chose assemble from Fresh Prepared Meal Components and Millennials 83.4% chose meal components.
- Seventy-three percent of retail prepared food purchases are taken to go
- 88.2 % of consumers prefer hand held food over sit down meals with a knife and fork
That said they need help big time when it come to holiday meal planning. The average household size in 2022 2.5 persons with 64.3 percent of all households having either one or two persons. This year The Fresh Market kicked off its Thanksgiving holiday meal promotion early this year and has added a few new twists, most importantly “meals for two” priced much lower than most of its holiday meals.
Patrice Molnar, Director, Communications and Public Relations at The Fresh Market, stated, “Our guests shared that they begin their Thanksgiving meal planning earlier than November… “To accommodate this request, we turned on our online ordering at the end of October this year.”
With Grocerant Niche mix and Match meal bundling top of mind The Fresh Market is offering a variety of complete meals, meal kits, and a la carte ordering.
New meals for two
New to this year’s Thanksgiving prepared meal promotion are meals for two, designed for “small celebrations,” Molnar said. Most of the holiday meals are designed to serve anywhere from three to 14 people, she said.
The new meals include a Holiday Turkey Market Meal Kit for 2, priced at $19.99 and featuring turkey breast medallions, mashed sweet potatoes, wild rice pilaf, peppercorn gravy, green beans, seasoning, and olive oil, and a Prime Rib Meal, priced at $49.99 and featuring one pound of fully cooked prime rib, mascarpone whipped potatoes with rosemary, seasoned green beans and horseradish aioli.
Other prepared holiday meals range from the Essential Holiday Meal, which feeds three to five and is priced at $74.99, to the Ultimate Holiday Meal, which feeds 12-14 people and is priced at $199.99 (plus $10 off for members of The Ultimate Loyalty Experience).
Customers can pick up their meals, which will come in free, reusable thermal boxes (while supplies last) in-store Nov. 20-23.
Don’t over reach. Are you ready for some fresh ideations? Do your food marketing ideations look more like yesterday than tomorrow? Interested in learning how Foodservice Solutions® can edify your retail food brand while creating a platform for consumer convenient meal participation, differentiation and individualization? Email us at: Steve@FoodserviceSolutions.us or visit us on our social media sites by clicking the following links: Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter