There is no other food retail company that sells branded fresh food as fast or as successful as 7-Eleven according to Steven Johnson, Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions®. When it comes to food branding 7-Eleven has to rank near the top. Consider that back in 1967 they branded the Slurpee that has become a platform for fresh food fast and global success story.
Regular readers of this blog know that success does leave clues and while the Slurpee was clue one what would you say if 7-Eleven was to open Southern-inspired quick-serve concept? Well, they did and they branded the concept called “Raise the Roost Chicken & Biscuits”. The concept is co-located in one of four of the retailer’s new Evolution Stores.
In short, 7-Eleven Evolution Stores are real-time, real-life experiential testing grounds where customers can try and buy the retailer’s latest innovations in revolutionary new store formats. Dubbed, “Chicken Worth Crossing the Road For,” Raise the Roost offers a simple menu: made-from-scratch, hand-breaded fried chicken tenders with signature sauces, bone-in and boneless wings, signature chicken sandwiches and breakfast sandwiches. The in-store restaurant from 7-Eleven offers both made-to-order and grab-and-go options.
Grocerant niche Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat fresh prepared food sells and 7-Eleven knows it, built on a dayparts with Coffee, the Big Bite, Stuffed Pillsbury Waffle, Pizza and the Slurpee to name but a few.
7-Eleven President and CEO Joe DePinto stated “On the go customers are looking for high-quality, differentiated food options, and 7-Eleven continues to explore new concepts that meet that demand,” “Raise the Roost offers craveable food and generous portions at prices below what you’ll find at most fried chicken establishments.”
In addition to Raise the Roost, the New York 7-Eleven Evolution Store located at 88 Greenwich Street also offers exclusive products, services and features:
· Made-to-order specialty drinks that give customers the option to customize their drinks in a full-service beverage format including custom hot coffee drinks like flavored lattes, mochas and more as well as custom cold drinks like smoothies and cold brew coffee
· Self-serve bean-to-cup coffee with the addition of touch-screen machines that brew custom hot and iced coffee in just seconds
· Novelty beverages on tap that dispense cold beverages like tea, cold brew, kombucha, nitro cold brew, flavored drinks and more
· Cold treats bar with self-serve frozen yogurt and ice cream that can be swirled to create new flavors with multiple toppings
· Mobile Checkout: Customers can skip the checkout counter and pay for their purchases via the 7-Eleven app and accompanying 7Rewards loyalty program
· 7NOW Delivery App: 7-Eleven’s on-demand delivery app allows customers to achieve convenience like never before and have their favorite items like fresh food, beverages, snacks, groceries and household products delivered straight to their door
Now consider this 7-Eleven understands that retail foodservice needs to be interactive and participatory so each Evolution Store has customized design elements and product assortment to reflect the neighborhood and customers it will serve.
One last success clue: 7‑Eleven operates, franchises and/or licenses more than 70,000 stores in 17 countries, including 11,800 in North America. Remember Fresh food fast sells.
Foodservice Solutions® specializes in outsourced business development. We can help you identify, quantify and qualify additional food retail segment opportunities or a new menu product segment and brand and menu integration strategy. Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma WA is the global leader in the Grocerant niche visit Facebook.com/Steven Johnson, Linkedin.com/in/grocerant/ or twitter.com/grocerant