Success does leave clues and time and time again we see that each time a grocery store service deli steps up it “grocerant niche Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat fresh food offering consumers come calling, according to Steven Johnson, Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions®.
It’s at the intersection for the time starved consumers and the age-old question What’s for Dinner, that Foodservice Solutions® 2020 Grocerant ScoreCards found 83.1% of consumers don’t know what’s for dinner at Noon, and 61.7% do not know what’s for dinner at 4:00 PM.
It looks as if the battle for share of stomach continues to tilt the way of the service deli. According to the latest Retail Foodservice Consumer Trend Report “Purchases in retail foodservice are on the rise, with 66% of consumers buying prepared foods from retail at least three times a month, up from 55% in 2017” Here are six more facts from the report:
1. The vast majority (73%) of prepared foods occasions are taken to go,
2. 62% of prepared foods consumers buy retail foodservice breakfast at least once a month, up from 56% in 2017,
3. 47% of respondents report consuming their purchase immediately rather than saving it to eat later.
4. 59% of prepared food purchases are frequently a planned purchase
5. 79% of prepared food buys are for Dinner
6. 14% of retail foodservice occasions take place via delivery
Since 2009 Foodservice Solutions® team has been tacking how the retail food landscape has evolved. It is clear that the price, value, time, service equilibrium has tilted away from chain restaurants as the most important option for ‘What’s for Dinner’ to either the grocery sector service deli or a convenience store according to Johnson. Is your brand evolving? Does restaurant look more like yesterday or tomorrow?
Foodservice Solutions® specializes in outsourced business development. We can help you identify, quantify and qualify additional food retail segment opportunities or a new menu product segment and brand and menu integration strategy. Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma WA is the global leader in the Grocerant niche visit Facebook.com/Steven Johnson, www.Linkedin.com/in/grocerant/ or www.twitter.com/grocerant/
Battle for Share of Stomach