While convenience store breakfast day-part sales continue to grow the foundation of that growth is continues to be coffee and ever improving coffee programs according to Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions® Grocerant Guru® Steven Johnson.
That being said there is no need for Caribou Coffee, Barnie’s Coffee, Peet’s Coffee, or Starbucks to worry. In the 2017 National Coffee Drinking Trends report from the National Coffee Association, found that coffee consumption is back on the rise.
The 2017 National Coffee Drinking Trends report surveyed “3,000 people, of which 62 percent reported drinking coffee the previous day — up five percentage points from last year’s survey. Of that 62 percent, nearly a quarter had opted for an espresso-based beverage the previous day, compared to 18 percent in 2016.”
The reported found that “Gourmet coffee-drinking is on the rise, with 59 percent of daily coffee drinkers indulging regularly in gourmet coffee this year, a 13-percent increase. And specialty coffee beverages are becoming a part of regular coffee drinkers’ weekly consumption habits: frozen/blended (14 percent), cold brew (11 percent), and nitrogen-infused coffee (3 percent).”
Bill Murray, CEO of National Coffee Association USA stated “More of us are drinking coffee, and younger consumers appear to be leading the charge,”…“A steadily growing taste for gourmet varieties is also driving a wider trend toward specialty beverages.” Here are some more facts:
1. The biggest coffee drinkers by age are those 60-plus (68 percent),
2. followed by those aged 40-59 (64 percent), 25-39 (63 percent),
3. 18-24 (50 percent) and 13-18 (37 percent),
4. While those between the ages of 25-29 are in the middle of the pack when it comes to daily consumption, they are the biggest consumers of gourmet coffee (50 percent),
5. The 40-59 age bracket saw the biggest increase in daily coffee drinkers (11 percent), as well as the biggest increase in regular gourmet coffee drinkers (15 percent).
If your entering the Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat fresh prepared food sector our advice is start with breakfast and focus on coffee. Success does leave clue and coffee is our clue of the day.
Interested in learning how Foodservice Solutions 5P’s of Food Marketing can edify your retail food brand while creating a platform for consumer convenient meal participation, differentiation and individualization? Email us at: Steve@FoodserviceSolutions.us or visit: www.FoodserviceSolutions.us for more information.
Post a Comment