We all need to take a step back and look at just what customer bought online and had delivered 2021. Some of the best insights come from DoorDash. According to Steven Johnson, Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions® “every restaurant knows what they sold, but knowing what customer bought when your customers were not ordering from you just might be even more important to know.”
So, the top convenience items ordered through the DoorDash app were chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, lemon-lime soda, and mac and cheese bites, and top foodservice items included French fries, chicken nuggets, and gyro bowls.
Here is news you can use; French fries came in at No. 1 on the top-ordered food list. DoorDash saw an increase in a variety of different fries, including cilantro lime fries (341% increase), waffle fries (178% increase), garlic fries (127% increase), and of course classic fries (130% increase).
In the convenience category, ice cream reigns supreme, with the most popular items for late-night snackers including chocolate fudge brownie ice cream, mint ice cream, vanilla ice cream, sweet tea and buttercream cookies.
Other top convenience products include:
1. Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream
2. Lemon-lime soda
3. Mac and cheese bites
4. Peanut butter cups
5. Energy drink
6. Sour cream and onion potato chips
7. Sour gummy worms
8. Beef jerky
9. Frosted mini doughnuts
10. Pickle bites
The pandemic reshaped how consumers shop, eat and work. As many people continue to work from home, DoorDash has seen a rise in online grocery shopping.
· Saturday was the most popular day to get groceries, with most orders coming in around dinner time.
· Produce and pantry staples topped the list, with people stocking up on items like strawberries, sour cream, bread, bananas, avocado, roma tomatoes, milk and eggs.
· Bananas may be the top-ordered item, but the runners up for the top produce item across the country are avocados and roma tomatoes.
This year, DoorDash expanded its marketplace offering with alcohol delivery; customers were able to get their drink of choice on-demand through the DoorDash app.
· Top wines included Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio and Prosecco
· Top spirits included Casamigos tequila, Tito’s Vodka and Hennessy Cognac
· DoorDash customers treat their furry friends to a life of luxury, with top selling pet items including lavender grooming wipes, peanut treats and toys like tennis ball squeakers and teasers.
Last year was all about comfort, but as we entered a new year, people began to branch out, trying out a variety of different cuisines and recipes, from avocado eggrolls to spicy fusilli pasta and brown sugar tater tots.
The top 20 ordered items in 2021 were:
1. French fries
2. Chicken nuggets
3. Gyro bowl
4. Create-your-own pizza
6. Acai bowl
7. Avocado eggroll
8. Mac and cheese
9. Red velvet cheesecake
10. Carne asada tacos
12. Build-your-own salad
13. Spicy fusilli pasta
14. Tomato soup
16. New England clam chowder
18. Brown sugar tater tots
19. Soup dumplings
20. Poke bowl
So, now that you know what consumers were buying online and having delivered are you thinking about how you might fine tune your menu? Where do you think you could drive incremental revenue?
Foodservice Solutions® specializes in outsourced business development. We can help you identify, quantify and qualify additional food retail segment opportunities or a new menu product segment and brand and menu integration strategy. Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma WA is the global leader in the Grocerant niche visit us on our social media sites by clicking one of the following links: Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter
In A Battle For Share of Stomach
You Can Win