Our Grocerant Guru® was around and well-established back in 2002 when Jack in the Box tried its hand a extending its brand into the convenience store sector. Let’s note it here right up-front Jack in the Box did not engage our team or our Grocerant Guru®. It just might have been the reason, 7 years and millions of dollars later they withdrew. At the time our Grocerant Guru® endorsed the move into convenience and still does.
Clearly, the team at Jack in the Box learned a lot in those 7 years. The first thing they should have learned is that fast food customers love convenience and want more service and move convenience in their daily lives. The team at Steven Johnson the Grocerant Guru® stated, “driving forward with incremental convenience options is the right thing to do if you are worried about the ‘VETO Vote’.
So, how do Americans decide what to have for dinner when they want to go out to eat? The most common ways that people find somewhere to eat are on Google (76%), through word-of-mouth recommendations (64%), on Yelp (39%), and on social media (30%).
When asked where Americans get dinner, most (77%) commonly eat at home or cook for themselves. 50% say they regularly get takeout or pick up, 31% say they go to restaurants, and 3% say they use a meal subscription box. Jack in the Box is giving them a third option. Pick-up the convenience options to complete a meal at home without another stop. That will work according to Johnson.
Building a Larger Share of Stomach
Evolving with Relevance with Consumers
Why it works at Jack in the Box:
· Diverse 24/7 Menu with All Five Day Parts
· Any Menu Item - Any Time of Day
· Flexible Layouts and Store Designs
· +90 Existing Co-Developed Spaces
· Minimal C-STORE / TRAVEL PLAZA SITE REQUIREMENTS
· Spacing Requirements
· Approximately 1,350 Square Feet for Kitchen-Only with Drive-Thru
· Interior Dining
· Additional 500-600 Square Feet for Dining Room (If Included)
· A Drive-Thru is Required for All Convenience Store Locations
· Monthly Gallonage
· We're Looking for C-stores with a Minimum Monthly Gallonage of 125,000
· Traffic Counts
· We Target Areas with Traffic Counts of +20,000 Cars per Day
· Thoroughfare Access
· Locations with Access to Major Highways and Intersections Preferred
· All-Day Everyday Menu
· Our menu is based on our original approach to bold flavor fusions, variety, authenticity, attention to quality, and fresh preparation.
· We operate in the primary food category of burgers. However, we have a unique menu with innovative items like tacos, chicken sandwiches, jumbo egg rolls, salads, and breakfast served 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
· Flexible Layouts & Designs
· At Jack in the Box, our flexible construction plan gives us the ability to fit the unique needs of your c-store / travel plaza location.
· Whether you want to build our base ~1,350 square foot kitchen-only model with a drive-thru or have the space to add interior seating, we have designs to help you maximize your space.
All our franchisees complete a 10-to-14-week training program to learn our system. Through a combination of computer-based and on-the-job training, you'll receive training on topics such as:
· Point-of-Sale System
· Ordering and Inventory Tracking
· Marketing and Advertising
· Information Technology
· Setting and Achieving Growth Goals
By the time your training is complete, you should feel confident about operating your new restaurant.
Years of Marketing Insights
Jack in the Box uses an unapologetically bold strategy to advertise, market, and promote our more than 2,200 locations. We take an omnichannel approach to reach customers, create brand awareness, and drive traffic to your restaurant.
· Custom Marketing Plans
· Local Marketing Initiatives
· Interactive Marketing Website
· Digital Marketing
· Social Media
· Athletic Sponsorships
· Radio Advertisements
· Customer Loyalty App
Don’t over reach. Are you ready for some fresh ideations? Do your food marketing ideations look more like yesterday than tomorrow? Interested in learning how Foodservice Solutions® can edify your retail food brand while creating a platform for consumer convenient meal participation, differentiation and individualization? Email us at: Steve@FoodserviceSolutions.us or visit us on our social media sites by clicking the following links: Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter