Foodservice Solutions® Grocerant Guru™ stated that “differentiated food does not mean food that is different; it means food and food products that are familiar but with a twist”. Recent research conducted by the Specialty Food Association, found “Millennials are seeking specialty foods for snacks and on-the-go meals, … with younger adults reporting spending more on specialty food than Baby Boomers and older consumers.”
The Specialty Food Association (SFA) findings mirrored research conducted for and reported in Nation’s Restaurant News that found Millennials ‘shy away from ‘restaurants’ described as chains, but are attracted to ‘restaurants’ that design each unit almost as one-offs to fit a neighborhood.” Here are some of the SFA results:
1. Specialty shoppers are spending one in four dollars on specialty foods up from one in five dollars in 2013
2. Core specialty food consumers are ages 18-44 and affluent
3. Women are more likely than men to purchase specialty foods
4. 18 to 24 year olds were the most likely consumers of ready-to-eat food and beverages
5. 59% of U.S. adults purchased specialty food products in the last six months.