Success does leave clues and while Starbucks sales continued to grow Foodservice Solutions® Grocerant Guru® Steven Johnson believes that the most impressive numbers that were reported during Starbucks fiscal first quarter this week were those that highlighted how well they were evolving with consumers.
As retail customers are dynamic not static it’s clear to the entire team at Foodservice Solutions® that Starbucks ability to adapt, evolve, while edifying customer relevance is second to none in the retail foodservice industry. Here let’s look at some of the numbers we find very important:
1. $2.1 billion loaded on Starbucks Cards in the U.S. and Canada in Q1, up 15 percent year-over-year
2. Starbucks Card transactions reached 40 percent of U.S. company-operated transactions.
3. Record Active membership in Starbucks Rewards grew 16 percent year-over-year to 12.9 million members in the U.S.
4. Mobile Order and Pay represented 7 percent of U.S. company-operated transactions in the quarter, up from 3 percent in the prior year
5. Mobile Payment reached 27 percent of U.S. company-operated transactions
So, why are these numbers so important? The answer is they are branded. Every time a company can edify the customer relationship with a branded item it’s important. However when payments and money are branded the relationship is even more valuable.
Starbucks U.S. comparable store sales increased 3 percent comprised of a 5 percent increase in average ticket and a 2 percent decrease in transactions. Credit an increase in Grocerant niche Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat fresh prepared food.
Foodservice Solutions® specializes in outsourced business development. We can help you identify, quantify and qualify additional food retail segment opportunities or a new menu product segment and brand and menu integration strategy. Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma WA is the global leader in the Grocerant niche visit Facebook.com/Steven Johnson, Linkedin.com/in/grocerant or twitter.com/grocerant