Ready-2-Eat and Heat-N-Eat fresh prepared meals and meal components will be center stage this holiday season and restaurants has found that the Grocerant niche bundled mix and match meal components make the meal prep time shorter, food better, and clean-up a breeze according to Steven Johnson Grocerant Guru® at Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions®.
Consider these new insights from, the National Restaurant Association (NRA)that found
77% of consumers will cope with holiday demands by letting restaurants do some
of their cooking during the coming weeks. Now you have to admit that the
grocerant niche has come a long way since 1996 when our own Steven Johnson identified,
quantified, qualified and then named what is now called the grocerant
Back to the new study, according to the NRA survey, 57% of consumers plan to go out to eat at a restaurant, while 50% plan to order takeout or delivery for a gathering at home during the holidays. One in four consumers plan to do both. When asked about why they plan to include restaurant meals in their holiday plans:
· 88% said dining out or ordering a meal from a restaurant is a good way to support businesses in their community during the holidays.
· 82% said letting restaurants do the cooking is easy and reduces their stress.
· 78% said a restaurant gives them an opportunity to socialize with family and/or friends and is a better use of their time than cooking and cleaning up.Michelle Korsmo, President & CEO of the National Restaurant Association, stated, “During the holidays—maybe more than any other time of the year—we work to make meaningful connections with people in our lives. The restaurants in our communities provide the space and the comfort to do that while sharing a meal,”. “The holiday season is important to restaurant operators and employees who work hard to make it special. When you choose restaurants, you get the flavors you crave without grocery shopping and preparation. You get familiar holiday dishes, without the dishes to wash. You get beloved traditions, without all the preparations. When you let restaurants do the cooking, restaurants let you take a holiday from the holidays.”
So, when choosing the restaurant, convenience and loyalty were top of mind for most consumers.
· A restaurant close to home was the top pick for 94% of consumers going out to eat and 91% planning to order out.
· 81% of diners plan to dine in a restaurant they’ve often visited during the holidays, while 79% of diners will order out from one.Regular readers of the blog know that inflation is impacting consumer decision-making during the holidays, making them more interested in restaurants where they can find a deal or specials.
· 89% of consumers who plan to dine in a restaurant and the same number who plan to order out will consider deals or specials to pick the restaurant.
· 60% of customers eating out and 66% of those planning takeout are making their choices based on marketing emails from restaurants. Even fewer are being swayed by social media—just 58% of people planning to eat out and 65% of those planning delivery or takeout say social media marketing will be a determining factor in their choice of restaurant.
The National Restaurant Association conducted the online survey of 1,002 adults Nov. 18-20, 2022, asking questions about their plans to use restaurants during the holiday season. If you want a deep dive into the grocerant niche you might want to obtain a Grocerant ScoreCard or a copy of the Grocerant Index.
Invite Foodservice Solutions® to complete a Grocerant ScoreCard, or for product positioning or placement assistance, or call our Grocerant Guru®. Since 1991 Foodservice Solutions® of Tacoma, WA has been the global leader in the Grocerant niche. Contact: Steve@FoodserviceSolutions.us or 253-759-7869
Are you Ready to Build a
Larger Share of Stomach?