There was a time that everyone one thought consumer would not buy fast food unless they could go to Quick Service Restaurant and use the drive-thru to get a meal when they were hungry. Today however consumer are driving to convenience stores Hand Held Food for Immediate Consumption, that is consumer Interactive and Participatory with consumer relevance according to Tacoma, WA based Foodservice Solutions® Grocerant Guru® Steven Johnson.
In a new survey from Tyson Convenience shows consumer preferences when it comes to prepared foods at convenience stores. “Busy summers and convenience stores go hand-in-hand for meals and snacks on-the-go,” said Rob Ramsey, senior manager of convenience channel marketing for Tyson Foods. “Consumers use convenience stores as their summertime home to keep them refueled and not slow them down.” Survey findings include:
1. The No. 1 reason (51%) American adults purchase food at a convenience store is to satisfy a craving.
2. Many (48%) would like to see a breakfast station serving waffles, biscuits, breakfast meats and baked goods at a convenience store.
3. Breakfast sandwiches are so popular that more than half of Americans (51%) would purchase one at their local convenience store if they wanted to have breakfast for dinner.
4. On the other hand, pizza rose to the top of later-in-the-day prepared foods to cross over to breakfast, with (45%) of Americans interested in eating pizza for breakfast.
5. Americans prefer to eat their snacks with two fingers (47%) while shying away from using any utensils.
Ramsey continued “Hearing directly from consumers on what they want and expect from a convenience store can be invaluable for retailers, especially during the busy summer season,”. “These survey insights, like having breakfast offerings served all-day in unique, creative ways, give retailers feedback from consumers on how to merchandise prepared food offerings to attract consumers in the summer.”
Invite Foodservice Solutions® to complete a Grocerant Program Assessment, Grocerant ScoreCard, or for product positioning or placement assistance, or call our Grocerant Guru®. Since 1991 www.FoodserviceSolutions.us of Tacoma, WA has been the global leader in the Grocerant niche. Contact: Steve@FoodserviceSolutions.us or 253-759-7869